Upcoming exhibits at Thoughtful Hands
There is No "Away"
The inaugural exhibit There is No "Away" will be held during Earth Day TX 2017 at Dallas Fair Park April 21, 22, and 23.
Entry to the exhibit is free and open to the public during the weekend's event. We will post our position within the park once it is determined by the event planners.
Call for Entries- No application fee
Submission Deadline: Sunday April 2, 2017
Artists Notified: Sunday April 9, 2017
Artwork must be received by: Monday April 17, 2017
Artwork will be returned the week of May 15, 2017
Thoughtful Hands is a non-profit organization formed to promote artists and independent designers who use eco-friendly materials and processes. Exhibitions will be held in a renovated 1964 Airstream Overlander allowing exhibitions to be mobile and reach a wider range of audiences.
Thoughtful Hands’ inaugural exhibition will be held at Earth Day TX in Dallas’s Fair Park. The event is free and open to the public. In 2016, the event had over 130,000 attendees and we believe the crowd will be even larger this year.
There is No “Away" is a phrase taken from biologist Barry Commoner's Four Laws of Ecology. Nature doesn't waste; biodegradable materials can break down and be used as nutrients within nature's continuous cycle. However, when people produce material that won't biodegrade and then throw it away... it has to go somewhere.
There is no required conceptual theme for the exhibit. However, due to the organization’s mission of environmental education, the artists’ materials and processes used must be in agreement.
- Open to all fine art and fine craft media- 2D and 3D
- Work may not require electricity or batteries.
- Up to 3 works may be submitted per applicant
- Artworks must incorporate:
- at least 75% up-cycled materials normally destined for the landfill OR
- use natural, biodegradable materials OR
- be created for disassembly with all components capable of being recycled
- One written paragraph, no longer than 150 words, explaining the works’ materials and processes and how they are sustainable
- One written paragraph, no longer than 150 words, explaining the impact of the artist’s materials and processes on the environment (all making leaves some sort of footprint so be honest)
- Artworks MUST be no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” No exceptions as the trailer is a small space
- Please indicate in application the price of the artwork. Thoughtful Hands receives 30% from all sales.
- All 2D work must be ready to hang
- All work must require NO special installation needs
- Artwork must be appropriate for the general public including young audiences
- Work will NOT be shown in a climate controlled setting. If it would do well in an outdoor art fair booth, it should be fine in the trailer.
- Selected work will require artist-paid shipping to and from Thoughtful Hands
- If selected, the artist must sign a damage liability waiver.
Dallas Fair Park
1300 Robert B. Cullum Boulevard
Dallas, TX 75210